My Awakening To A Disturbing American “Tradition”

Welcome to my blog. I chose an important and rather “taboo” subject in America that has grown on me these past few years – Forced Neonatal Male Circumcision.

This blog reflects my personal views along with research and factual information on the subject. Many people tried to discourage me before I even started by saying things like: “why fight against a tradition?”, “circumcision isn’t that big of a deal”, or “why do you care?, you aren’t circumcised“. My answer to that is: I felt an awakening to create awareness of a practice that is so ingrained in a culture but whose people are blinded to its harmful nature; either influenced by a system, or by their own personal “motives” that have been carried on generation after generation. And I don’t have to be a victim of circumcision to feel sympathy for the men who as newborns didn’t have a voice against a practice forced upon them; they will never know what it is like to grow up with intact genitalia as nature intended.

If only parents in America were open to learn of what circumcision really entails, its disturbing history, how unethical the procedure is, and more importantly its long-term adverse effect on the otherwise normal functionality of the intact penis, perhaps they wouldn’t think of it as a “gift” to their baby boys.

People in developed countries tend to be shocked when learning that America is still “cutting” their baby boys, because all of them discontinued the recommendation for the practice over half a century ago, and they are still discouraging it while incorporating laws to protect their infants; Denmark for example has the lowest rate of circumcision (2%), and along with Iceland in the past decade has tried to push a ban on the practice; Italy doesn’t allow tampering of the foreskin until the age of 5 – a malpractice that happens in America more often than one thinks and which has led to further unnecessary circumcisions on infants. Europeans in particular (excluding religious groups) only practice circumcision for valid therapeutic reasons, and when less invasive alternatives fail. In reality only about 1% of intact boys will experience some kind of foreskin-related “complication” during their lifetime that may need intervention, most of the time without a need for circumcision.

And if you didn’t know, 70% percent of males in the world are intact; the other 30% of circumcised males consists of Muslims (20%), and the remaining 10% are Jews, Americans and other cultures that still practice circumcision as a ritual.

(there is a “menu” on top with important topics – apparently it is easily missed)

post

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s